Altcar Bob (1906 to 1938)

Altcar Bob was the familiar name for a train service introduced by the Lancashire & Yorkshire railway from Altcar & Hillhouse to Southport, via Halsall, also known as the Barton Branch. The line was not a financial success but the service and its railmotor coach and locomotive are still remembered fondly even though the passenger service ceased in 1938. 

History

Route of Barton Branch

The line was originally opened by Liverpool, Southport & Preston Junction Railway (LSPJR)  in 1887.  The route was from Hellhouse Junction on the Cheshire Lines Committe route (CLC), through the West Lancashire villages of Downholland and Halsall to Southport via Meols Cop.

In 1897 the L&Y acquired the LSPJR and in 1906 with the addition of some extra Halts the L&Y introduced the famous railmotor service.

Earlier Hughes Railmotor ( Credit Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society)

The origin of the name “Altcar Bob” is uncertain. The service started at Altcar & Hillhouse station. You had to change there to get to Maghull and Liverpool.  It is suggested that “Bob” might have been one of the frequent train drivers, or that engine men referred to these small locomotives as “Bob”. Or was the first fare one shilling?  Whatever the explanation, it is a well-known local name, even Wikipedia has an entry for it.  

It was originally a frequent service for such a minor branch line.  In 1910 there were 16 return trips and a Sunday service. In 1922 the L&Y became the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) who reduced it to 10 daily trips.  In 1924 it became part of the London Midland Scottish (LMS) railway company, and they stopped services to Altcar in 1926.  The new end of the line at Barton station was renamed Downholland.  The whole line closed to passenger services in 1938, although some freight traffic continued until 1952.  After that the line was closed after Shirdley Hill and the section from Meols Cop to Shirdley Hill was used to store excursion trains.  The track was lifted in the 1960s. 

Stations

Southport Central and Ash Street

Originally the LSPJ railway had a terminus at Southport Central station and another station at Ash Street. When the LSPJ was absorbed into the L&Y in 1924 the L&Y had Southport Chapel Street ( current Southport station) so Ash Street was demolished to make a route to Chapel Street. Southport Central survived as a goods depot until 1975.

Souhport Central prior to demolition in 1975 (credit Ian McLoghlin, Flickr)
Southport engine shed and Central station is now Central 12 retail park and building on the left is now a McDonalds restuarant
Altcar Bob 10601 leaving Southport Chapel Street in 1928 (credit Noel Coates)
Rusty track on right is approx location of Ash Street station with tracks going onto Chapel Street

Meols Cop

Altcar Bob train at Meols Cop en route to Southport. ( Credit Sations UK)
More Recent photo of Meols Cop (Wikipedia)

Meols Cop station is still open, part of the Southport to Wigan service. 

Butts Lane Halt

Site of the Butts Lane Halt (under "Blowicks" )
Site of Butts Lane Halt

The Butts Lane Halt was opened in 1907 soon after the introduction of the new railmotor service. There were two low level platforms either side of the double track, high on the embankment , just after the Butts Lane bridge.  This was close to a residential area of Southport. Although this was “new” track on the Barton branch , this has now been realigned and is now part of the Southport to Wigan line.  

Kew Gardens

Kew Gardens in LMS days c. 1930s (Credit Stations UK)
Kew retail park. Tesco on left, Kew Gardens would have been on right were the Car Wash is located.

Kew Gardens station was built to serve a pleasure gardens.  The line was on a embankment running top to bottom on the picture with a bridge over the A570 Southport road.  The location has changed dramatically over the years with Tesco and other retail parks. There were sidings at ground level further south which served Kew Corn Mill. 

Heathey Lane Halt

Altcar Bob between Heathey Lane and Kew Gardens c. 1910
Site of Heathey Lane Halt from the bridge.

Heathey Lane Halt was opened in 1907, same time as Butts Lane Halt following the successful opening of New Cut Lane and Plex Lane halts.

The Halt was a simple cinder area adjacent to the track with wooden staircase down from the bridge.

Shirdley Hill

Shirdley Hill looking south in 1949. Although closed to passengers there were occasional freight workings. (Stations UK)
Shaws Garth is road name for several bungalows built on the site of Shirdley Hill station. Thomas Shaw was the last station master.

Shirdley Hill was one of the main stations on the line with a station master’s house and a signal box to control the only level crossing on the line which remained until 1960. The goods service was withdrawn in 1953 and the track between Shirdley Hill and Butts Lane became storage sidings.  The track south of Shirdley Hill through Halsall to Downholland was not  removed until 1963.

Lifting old track near Shirdley Hill in 1960s (Credit BG Barlow)

New Cut Lane Halt

Shirdley Hill to New Cut Lane
New Cut Lane bridge

New Cut Lane halt was one of the new halts constructed in 1906/7 to promote the new railmotor service. Just a basic cinder ash area at track level. Probably with an oil lamp as per the Plex Lane photograph.

Although this photo shows a farm track it is not possible to walk the length of the line. Houses have been built on the trackbed and  the land has been added to adjoining fields as private property. 

Halsall

Halsall station
Development on site of Halsall station, white house is part of original stationmaster's house.

Halsall station was off Carr Moss Lane. The original stationmaster’s house is now a modified private residence and other houses have been built on the trackbed. 

Halsall retained a goods service between 1938 and 1952. It had 3 sidings 

Barton / Downhollland

Earlier version of Railmotor at Downholland. Note thin chimney
Later version (thicker chimney) of railmotor, again at Downholland

Altcar Bob was not a single engine. The Lancashire and Yorkshire railway had 18 sets built between 1906 and 1911.  One variation between engines was the size of the chimney  and style of smokebox door and there are photos of different engines at Downhollland.